Kickgen.com Member Inspiration: Christopher Dennis

Thursday, May 7, 2009


Each week I try to find people from all different styles, backgrounds, ranks, and experiences to feature as inspiration coming from right here at Kickgen.com. One of the things I feel we miss sometimes as we grow in the Martial Arts is the "Awe...!" and wonder of when we first began. Imagine with me back to a time when you were a White or Yellow Belt and all the excitement and anticipation that came with it. Fresh, exciting, learning new things, couldn't wait to get to the next class...FUN! This is why I have enjoyed this week's Member Inspiration. Now I ask you to have a little fun as I interview Mr. Christopher Dennis, then go check out his profile and say "Hi!"

Name: Christopher Dennis (username: karateking)
Rank: Yellow Belt, Tae Kwon Do; Blue Belt, Okinawan Karate
Style: Tae Kwon Do
School: Won Martial Arts Academy in Phenix City, AL
Point of Inspiration: Christopher was recently promoted to Yellow Belt in Tae Kwon Do. It is refreshing and important to see someone having so much fun in martial arts at such a young age. Christopher is a perfect example of the next generation of martial arts champions!

KGDoug: Christopher, I understand you were recently promoted. Can you tell me to what rank you were promoted and what did you have to accomplish to reach that level?

Christopher: I was promoted to Yellow Belt. I had to learn down block, high block, outer form block, middle section punch, Chonji (a Korean form of 19 movements meaning "Heaven and Earth"), and six (6) White belt self-defense techniques.

KGDoug: You have studied in two different arts so far. What are they?

Christopher: Okinawan Karate, and now Tae Kwon Do.

KGDoug: Your little brother, Nicolas, also trains with you. What is it like for you to train with your little brother?

Christopher: Weird! (Christopher says that with a wrinkled up face!) It's weird because my teachers will always pair me up with my brother to help him out, and he doesn't always like for me to help him. Sometimes my brother gets in trouble and is a lot of extra drama.

KGDoug: Ha, ha! That is pretty funny! One day I will be able to ask him the same question, so watch out. I bet he looks up to you, though. Are there any other accomplishments you are really proud of in the Martial Arts?

Christopher: The belts that I have been awarded and all the fun I have had in karate classes.

KGDoug: How about in life or school or family?

Christopher: In school...getting all of my good grades on my report cards, learning all the new activities, and making new friends. In my family...having fun and getting to learn new things with my mom and dad.

KGDoug: Boy, it sounds like you have a lot of fun...having fun! I bet having fun is the most fun thing you do, right?! :-) What is the absolute craziest thing you have ever done?

Christopher: The craziest thing I have ever done is jumping and flipping around on the bungee cord bouncer. The bungee cord bouncer is a thing they have in the mall that has all these cords. You take off your shoes, and they strap you in, and you can go really high and jump around in all kinds of ways and do flips. I can do the back flip. I can't do the front flip yet, though, it is the hardest flip to do.

KGDoug: What does Karate mean to you and how far to you want to take it in your life?

Christopher: Having the fun that I have. Karate is amazing. Right now my goal is to get to High Red/Black belt. That is awesome! I also want to be a part of the KICK Team. They are so awesome! The KICK Team is a special team in my school that you have to try out for and you have to know how to do all your kicks, and jumps. You have to be a higher belt to get in. The KICK Team stands for "Kicking In Christ's Kingdom". It's a team for young people that speaks out against drug and alcohol abuse, and emphasizes the importance of education and the resistance of Gang lifestyles. (note: some of the info about the KICK Team we were reading right out of Christopher's school handbook.)

KGDoug: Is there anyone you would like to recognize who has helped you reach the level you have so far in your Martial Arts?

Christopher: Michael, Uncle Doug, Aunt Holly, Mr. Ryan, Mr. Craig, Ms. Danielle, Ms.Denay (the first three are family and Christopher's first teachers in Martial Arts, and the last four are Christopher's current Martial Arts Instructors at Won Martial Arts Academy).

KGDoug: Whew! That's a lot of people. Just goes to show you that we always have to have a good team around us. If you could give one piece of advice to our members at Kickgen.com, what would it be?

Christopher: Have fun with Karate no matter what!

KGDoug: How did I guess!? Thanks, Christopher, and keep up all the hard work. Go for that high Red/Black belt and keep going. Thanks for being an inspiration to all of us here at Kickgen.com and reminding us how fun Karate can be.

And to all you here at Kickgen.com...

Have An Extraordinary Day!
Doug McGannon
Kickgen.com username: KGDoug
http://www.questfortheusopen.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/dougmcgannon

P.S. - I did learn in our conversation that Christopher's school will be represented at the Gator Nationals...Kickgen.com will be there and we look forward to seeing each and every one of you!

0 comments: