Kickgen.com Member Inspiration: Mrs. Lindy Woods

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

As a regular installment of this section of Kickgen.com, I would like to introduce members of the Kickgen.com community and highlight accomplishments, endeavors, and other inspirational events and activities. My intent here is to tap into some of the excitement going on in YOUR lives and share it with the rest of our community, so that we can celebrate together and cheer each other on.

Here is what I am asking of you in return: Post encouraging comments or thoughts, Add featured individuals as your friends (if you haven't already), and Use what is presented here to inspire you to become the very best you can be!

As I talk with more of you through Kickgen.com, I am convinced you are living extraordinary lives through your Martial Arts! This is an opportunity to build community through the amazing happenings taking place in your lives. I really have no limits as to what type of inspiration I am searching for...perhaps you have just earned your Yellow Belt, or competed well in a tournament, or you participated in a dynamic event to benefit someone in need in your hometown, or like today's inspirational Kickgen.com member...we have an opportunity to share in the excitement Mrs. Lindy Woods (known affectionately by her students as Mrs. Lindy) is experiencing with an upcoming promotion.

So sit up straight and prepare to be inspired through the good news "Mrs. Lindy" recently received from her Grandmaster, Mr. Chuck Norris, and the United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF).

Name: Mrs. Lindy Woods (username: dunamiskarate)
Rank: 4th Degree Black Belt
Style: Chun Kuk Do (CKD)
School: Dunamis Karate, Ridgeland, SC
Point of Inspiration: Mrs. Lindy Woods was recently notified that she is eligible for promotion to 5th Degree (Masters Rank) Black Belt.

KGDoug: Can you give me details about your upcoming promotion and how it came about?

Mrs. Woods: First, there is a 4-year time limit between the 4th & 5th Degree promotions. I passed my physical test for my 4th Degree in June 2005. In addition to meeting the time requirements, I had to attend two separate classes ("Teacher, Trainer, Coach 501" & "502") and take a written test for each. I took the "501" course in the spring of 2006, and the "502" course in the summer of 2008, scoring ‘above passing’ grades on both tests.

KGDoug: And I'm sure there is a never-ending stream of learning and growing as a Martial Artist, a Leader, and as a person in the midst of all the extra rank-specific requirements. Who is involved in a process like this, and who approves and oversees eligibility requirements?

Mrs. Woods: Promotions to 5th Degree must be approved by the United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF) Board of Directors and Grand Master Chuck Norris. The “Masters Rank Induction Ceremony” will be held on Thursday, July 16, 2009 in Las Vegas, NV during the Chun Kuk Do International Training Conference. Grand Master Chuck Norris, CKD President Aaron Norris, and the entire UFAF Board of Directors will sit on stage as each inductee performs a 3-minute presentation. Then the Masters Rank Black Gi Top is ceremonially passed from board member to board member, then given to Grand Master Norris, who will place it on the newly promoted 5th Degree “Master of Chun Kuk Do.”

KGDoug: WOW! This has been a long and extensive process and it sounds like so many people and elements are involved. This reminds me that in order to reach new heights in anything, we must always be surrounded by a dedicated team of leaders, mentors, and encouragers. What are you currently doing to prepare for this event?

Mrs. Woods: Right now I am working on designing a Form demonstrating some advanced CKD skills as well as a One-step punching and Self-defense presentation.

KGDoug: How does this affect you as a school owner, an instructor, and a leader in the Martial Arts community?

Mrs. Woods: When you hear the term “Master” you expect greatness, not only from that individual, but also from the students who follow in their footsteps. As a school owner and instructor, I have always held my students to a high standard of excellence, but now that I will hold the rank of “Master” I feel an even greater responsibility to produce quality students and excellent Black Belts. I don’t want to be satisfied with where I am and the quality of my students. I want to constantly be moving forward!

KGDoug: Is there anyone you would like to mention/thank who has helped you get to this level?

Mrs. Woods: When I started training in 1993, my original instructors were Wayne & Jennie Cannon. I trained under them until 2001 when I opened my own school and soon after they quit teaching. Mr. Cannon was a great instructor and he inspired me to continue my training and never give up. Training under Mr. Cannon changed my life!

In 2001, Master Chuck Elias, who is currently our Regional Chairman, took me under his wing and helped me earn my 3rd and 4th Degrees. I definitely would not be where I am without his help.

I also received a great deal of help from our other board members, Master Steve Hammersley and Master Eric Hensley. The tips, advice and motivation they have given me has helped me become a strong school owner and instructor.
-----
If you are like me, you are inspired by Mrs. Woods' advancement and accomplishments in her art and life. I am confident she will continue to excel and reach every new goal she sets her heart, mind, and hand to. Please join me in congratulating Mrs. Woods and cheering her on toward her goal in July!

If you haven't already...jump on over to her Profile page (dunamiskarate) and learn more about Mrs. Woods and her school.

Have An Extraordinary Day!
Doug McGannon
Kickgen username: KGDoug
http://www.twitter.com/dougmcgannon

0 comments: