Kickgen.com Member Inspiration: Dr. Eric Gardere

Friday, April 24, 2009

Each week I take a trip around the Kickgen.com landscape and look for inspirational happenings in our community. I am consistently "WOW-ed" with the amazing people here at Kickgen.com and all that you are accomplishing in your Martial Arts and Life! Each week I am trying to bring you a little piece of that "WOW" factor through individual members just like our guest today: Dr. Eric Gardere.


Name: Dr. Eric Gardere (username: Mastereric74)
Rank: Master Level (38 years Kung fu; 10 years Kenpo Karate)
Style: Twin Tigers Kung Fu (Founder, Creator)
School: Twin Tigers Kung Fu
Point of Inspiration: Dr. Eric Gardere has been involved in the Martial Arts for over 47 years. He is a 9-time World Champion, and a 16-time National Champion. He was recently inducted into the Bushido Martial Arts Hall Of Fame, and into the World Chinese Martial Arts Federation Hall Of Fame. Dr. Gardere also received the Life Time Achievment Award for the Martial Arts and was added to the International Kung Fu (IKF) list of International Masters. He is the founder & creater of the Twin Tigers Kung Fu System.

Note: My full interview with Dr. Gardere is much longer than what space allows for here. Dr. Gardere has much to say concerning life and the Martial Arts, and I would encourage you to hear what he has to say and join in conversation with him. I personally enjoyed all he shared with me (about movies, in-depth training with Master Bruce Lee and other Masters of his arts, and many of his tournament accomplishments over the years) and I am sure you will enjoy getting to know him better as a Kickgen.com member. He uses his Personal Blog, and other features of Kickgen.com to communicate at Mastereric74. Be sure to drop by and pay him a visit.

KGDoug: Dr. Gardere, would you mind sharing with us some of the highlights of your background and accomplishments as a Martial Artist over the past 47 years?

Dr. Gardere: Working out with Master Bruce Lee when I was a kid was probably one of the most exciting times that I can remember. However working with my daughter to perfect the Twin Tigers System was very enjoyable, as it gave me a chance to work with my daughter on a project that took years for us to perfect. Whenever I came up with a new form, grab art, or rotation, I would use her as the “dummy” to practice on. We had some good times and bad trying to get things right, but through it all, it made us closer.

I also remember when I worked on the martial arts film SiFu, I had twelve of my students in the film along with my oldest son and my daughter. The film was shot in San Francisco, and the star of the film was Master Zong Lao. It was something that I had never experienced before seeing how this was my first film to work on. Master Lao let me choreograph the fight scenes that my students would be doing in the movie along with a few of the other fighters. This was a long and hard process. We would show up on the set at 6:00pm, get our make up on and shoot until 4:00, sometimes 5:00, in the morning, and then have to be back that evening to start all over again. This was a little harder on my students and me because we live 2 hours away from San Francisco. We would have to leave here around 4:00pm to be there by 6:00pm, and then we would not get home until 7:00 or 8:00am the next morning.

Was it worth it? YES, by all means. Doing this film gave me an opportunity to work with both of my kids on the film, something that we will always have. In the movie I was a good guy and my son was a bad guy and we had to fight each other in the film. Pretty cool huh???

After doing the film I have to say that I was sore for about two weeks. Let it be said that I have a great respect for actors because I could not do this on a daily basis. Doing the film opened the door for me to start my body guard service for rap artists, country singers, sports celebs, etc.


KGDoug: WOW! That is impressive and exciting, and I’m sure that’s only a small piece of a bigger picture. What, in your opinion, is a way we can honor the traditions of the past in the midst of all that is modern and "new" in Martial Arts today?

Dr. Gardere: I think that we need to remember where the martial arts began, and how they began. In the past Masters did not teach there students for profit, they taught for the love of the martial arts, to pass on the knowledge that they had to others, and to help one person change their life. This is what we need to remember now.

KGDoug: When you are teaching students, what is the number one thing you would say to them that is the difference between being an average Martial Artist and excelling in their art and life?

Dr. Gardere: I do not try to sugar-coat anything with my students. When they come into my studio I tell them straight out, “The martial arts are not just something that you do. It is not a way to get in shape, there is a health spa down the street for that. I am not here to be your baby-sitter, if you are here for any of these reasons then you can leave out the door now. This is a life-time commitment, and if you are not ready to make that commitment then you should not be here. If you are not willing to put in the time or the effort to be the best you can possibly be – there is the door. I can teach you in here, but if you are not ready to go home once you leave from here and practice, don't waste my time. I will teach you as fast as you can learn, I will push you as far as I think you can go, and in the end you will be the best you can be, not only in here but out there on the streets. This does not mean just in the physical part of the martial arts, but I will prepare you for your Life Journey as a martial artist mentally and spiritually.”


KGDoug: That leaves little room for interpretation! You have high expectations, and that is refreshing to hear today. I am sure your students appreciate it the more they train with you. Can you tell us a little about Twin Tigers King Fu and how a Kickgen.com member might learn more about your system?

Dr. Gardere: The Twin Tigers System consists of 6 styles of Kung Fu: White Crane, Tai Mantis, Wing Chun, Dragon, Tiger & Snake. My system teaches one how to react off of reaction, not to think about what you are going to do, but to relax and react. My system uses all 6 forms in everything we do, so when you learn it is not like you are learning all Wing Chun, or White Crane, or any of the other forms, but all of them combined together.

KGDoug: As a note to our readers…Dr. Gardere has invited you to contact him to learn more about Twin Tigers Kung Fu and his philosophy of the martial arts. I would very much encourage you, if you are interested, to contact him through his profile page here on Kickgen.com. Kickgen.com username: Mastereric74


How much practice do you still put in each day or week in the Martial Arts?

Dr. Gardere: As of now I put in at least 4 hrs a day of physical practice here in my home. I have two total gyms, a stretching machine, a stem unit (to contract the muscles), three Wave-Masters for kicking & punching, a wooden dummy, and my floor is fully matted. This is where I also train my kids and where they work out. I am retired from competing in tournaments due to 29 surgeries on my right knee, however I still do get on the mat with my students and I get excited when ever they get up the nerve to fight me. I have to say in all honesty, I may be 54 years old right now but I still have great speed and power. My career is not even close to being over, I still have so much more to pass on to my students.

KGDoug: And I am sure they are looking to gain much more insight from you. Is there anyone you would like to recognize who has helped you to become who you are as a Martial Artist today...instructor(s), mentors, family?

Dr. Gardere: The people that I would like to thank for the success of my career and who supported me for all of these years would be first, My Lord and Master Jesus Christ. My wife, Tina. She has put up with a whole lot from me. More then she should ever of had to. I would like to thank my daughter, Tiffany (who is now the Women’s Light-weight World Champion in sparring) for helping me to create a great part of the Twin Tigers system. My two sons, Tim & SeJen for giving up sports to compete with me, and to my oldest son Eric Jr. for never giving up when I pushed him so hard (he is now one of the top martial artists around). And I would like to acknowledge Master Bruce Lee for his inspiration in my life. Also, Grand Master Byong Yu, Master Harry Mok, Grand Master Lily Lou, Master Zong Lao, and Master Hei Long for their never-ending friendship. And a very special thanks to my MOM, who raised us on her own and taught me to be strong, never give up, and to be at peace with myself always. I thank you for giving me this opportunity, sir, to be able to share some things with others that truly mean a lot to me.

KGDoug: Thank you, Dr. Gardere. It has been my pleasure.

And to all of you wonderful Kickgen.com friends out there...

Have An Extraordinary Day!
Doug McGannon
Kickgen.com username: KGDoug
http://www.twitter.com/dougmcgannon

P.S. - Your comments and feedback are thoroughly enjoyed! :)

0 comments: