"Official Guide To What A Martial Artist Really Means"

Friday, May 1, 2009

I was thinking this week about how important keeping our word and speaking truthfully really is. While I was thinking I came across some Martial Arts humor. Let me share with you a few of my favorite "Official Guide To What A Martial Artist Really Means" translations...

When They Say...
What They Really Mean Is...(in Bold/Orange)

Japanese arts are the best
I practice Japanese Martial Arts

High kicks are not practical
I can't do high kicks

Competitions are a waste of time
I never won any competitions

Bruce Lee didn't know what he was talking about
I don't have a clue what Bruce Lee was talking about

Size and strength are not important
Unless the guy you are fighting is bigger and stronger than you

Chinese arts are the best
I practice Chinese Martial Arts

Sophisticated arts like Tai Chi and Aikido are far superior
I am terrified of sparring

My style is the best
I don't know anything about any other style

Korean arts are the best
I practice Korean Martial Arts

This art is thousands of years old
Some dude just started this about 20 years ago

The purpose of the martial arts is spiritual development, humility, and the discipline of the ego
I am so wise and humble now, it's awesome!

Sometimes (you gotta admit) we just have to laugh out loud at some of the silly things we do and say. What's so funny to me is I've actually had people say similar things to me about the Arts. How about you? As human beings we can find ways to justify anything and everything, can't we?

Whether we are at attention in the dojo (or dojang if Korean arts are the best! lol), or we are going through the course of our day, our words are very powerful. What we say can help us or hurt us. Especially when it comes to "keeping our word".

One of the most important lessons we can learn in developing our character is to learn to keep our word. When everything else is gone...when there is nothing else left...your word will be what you are measured by. Can you be trusted? Do people believe you or do they just write you off, because you haven't kept your word? Are people willing to listen to what you have to say?

It's interesting to me, but do you know one of the best ways to discipline yourself to keep your word...?

Keep your trap closed!

That's right...not trying to be rude here, but simply not having a lot to say all the time will help us to say what really matters when it matters. And when it comes to keeping your word, when you can keep quiet until you have thought through everything there is to think through on a issue, you will only make a promise or guarantee based on the reality of what you can deliver...not just because you wanted to flap your trap and impress someone!

The "translations" above can be funny to those of us willing to laugh a little...but your word is serious business. Over the weekend, think about it...Are you trustworthy? Does your "word" mean anything? What must you do to strengthen your word? If you are trustworthy person, how can you help others learn the "discipline of the tongue" and to keep their word?

In life, this is possibly one of the most important things we can learn to do. It's worth giving significant time and effort to. One way to know how you are doing in this area is to ask a mentor, your Martial Arts instructor, a parent, or a trustworthy friend (and I mean, they better be truly honest and trustworthy) what they think about your "word". Ask them if you can be trusted...if you have influence with people through your words...

Then, make adjustments. Do whatever it takes to kick this part of your life and character up a notch or two! Whether you are strong or weak in this area...there is always room for improvement.

And remember, when you say, "I give you my word..." What you really mean to say better be "I give you my word, and my word is good!"

Have An Extraordinary Weekend!
Doug McGannon

Kickgen.com username: KGDoug
http://www.questfortheusopen.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/dougmcgannon

P.S. - The little contest I was running from earlier in the week is over now. I will announce the winner at the beginning of next week. There were some really good ideas and it was helpful to me to know what is of interest to you. Thanks for your feedback and I will chat with you on Monday!

0 comments: